Events & Venues
Tamworth Country Music Festival
The second largest country music festival in the world takes place in Tamworth over ten days in January each year. The festival involves multiple venues around the city with a variety of free and ticketed events featuring both high profile and up and coming performers.
The highlight of the festival is the Country Music Awards of Australia, aka the Golden Guitars, recognising the best talent in Australian country music.
You will have to arrange your accommodation early as we are normally booked out over 12 months in advance.
For event and ticketing information visit the Tamworth Country Music Festival website.
Australian Equine & Livestock Events Centre (AELEC)
AELEC is a state-of-art facility that hosts over 50 events each year from show jumping to dog trials, thoroughbred sales, and rodeos.
Tamworth is home to the three major sporting horse bodies, CHA, ABCRA and AQHA, all of whom use the facility for major events.
To check on upcoming events visit the AELEC website.
Tamworth Regional Entertainment Conference Centre (TRECC)
This 5100-seat multi-purpose venue hosts a variety of events throughout the year with the major annual event being the Country Music Awards of Australia as part of the Tamworth Country Music Festival.
Other types of events include:
- Trade Shows, Exhibitions and Product Launches
- Educational exhibitions
- Major event Dinners/Functions
- Indoor sporting events
- Community events
- Charity events
To check upcoming events and purchase tickets visit the TRECC website.
The Tamworth events calendar is packed with a variety of fun events for all ages and interests right throughout the year.
Check the Destination Tamworth events page to see what’s on.
A few other significant events to watch out for include:
- Taste Tamworth Festival
- Fiesta La Peel
- Hats Off to Country (our mid-year country music festival)
- Tamworth Regional Heritage Festival
- Nundle Go for Gold Chinese Easter Festival
The Big Golden Guitar Tourist Centre
Many tourists and country music fans have had their photo taken in front of the Big Golden Guitar which stands prominently on the New England Highway on the southern approach to Tamworth.
However, there is there plenty more to see inside such as:
- Gallery of Stars Wax Museum
- Collectors Museum (the largest private collection of Don Bradman memorabilia)
- Music store, coffee shop, souvenirs
Visit Big Golden Guitar website.
Australian Country Music Hall of Fame
The ACM Hall of Fame takes on a journey through Australia’s country music history with memorabilia displays from the stars of yesteryear right through to contemporary artists.
Walk a Country Mile is an interactive area that takes visitors on a journey through the growth of country music in Australia.
Visit the Hall of Fame website.
Other Museums, Monuments & Landmarks
Some of the other interesting places you will find around Tamworth include:
- Legends of Country Music bronze busts in Bicentennial Park
- Country Music Hands of Fame
- Walk the Country Music Trail
- Tamworth Hospital Nursing and Medical Museum
- Tamworth Powerstation Museum
- Tamworth Regional Film and Sound Archive
- Powerhouse Motorcycle Museum
- A variety of significant war memorials and landmarks honouring those who have served.
Parks & Recreation Areas
Tamworth Regional Playground
Situated within an easy walk just across the Peel River from our motel, the Regional Playground is an amazing facility with something for the whole family.
Mum and Dad can enjoy a coffee or refreshments at the alfresco Hopscotch Restaurant & Bar or get some exercise on the fitness circuit while the kids explore.
Some of the things they can try include:
- Skywalk – largest of its kind in the southern hemisphere featuring giant slides and towers
- Bike track
- Splash pad
- Mammoth swing
- Junior & Senior play zones
- Flying fox
- Embankment slide
Find out more…
Victoria Park Precinct
You can easily spend a day in this fantastic family-friendly area near East Tamworth that features a number of attractions in close proximity to each other.
You will enjoy:
- Tamworth Marsupial park & Adventure Playground
- Tamworth Miniature Railway (3rd Sunday of each month)
- Oxley Lookout
- Tamworth Regional Botanical Gardens
Day Trips & Scenic Drives
Using Roydon’s Motor Inn as your home base in Tamworth, head out and explore some of the nearby areas which are rich in history, spectacular scenery, and places of interest.
Some of the things you may come across include:
- The old-world shops of Nundle
- Lake Keepit recreation area
- Old fashioned country pubs
- Nundle Court House Museum
- Mount Misery Gold Mine Museum
- Manilla Heritage Museum
- The Moonbi Ranges
- Werris Creek Rail Museum
- The First & Second Fleet Memorial at Wallabadah
- Burning Mountain Reserve (between Wingen & Blandford on the New England Highway);
- Kentucky Distillery & Restaurant at Kentucky;
- New England Brewing Company at Uralla.